The best survival kit to prepare you 2022
The best survival kit is the survival kit you have when you need it.
It really comes down to what you are trying to survive. A home emergency kit will have different requirements than would a wilderness survival kit and a summer kit would have different requirements from a winter kit.
As a general rule of thumb, the pre-built kits you can buy are over-priced garbage. They tend to have gimmicky items that are sub-par quality and which you really don’t need. They also tend to be vastly more expensive than a kit you would assemble yourself.
If you have been of a survival kit, you need to sit down and figure out what you need to survive in whatever circumstances you can foresee and then obtain the items you need based on that. In general terms you need:
- Heat/fire and the means to make it.
- Food and/or the means to get it
- Water and/or the means to get it
- A good knife (do NOT buy one of those garbage “Rambo” knives” with the useless “survival kits” in the grip)
- Map and compass
- First aid supplies.
- Signaling devices - whistles, mirrors, etc.
That is a very basic and high level list. You will need to do your homework and get what you specifically need. Do NOT go cheap and scrimp on quality to save money.